Saturday, February 15, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » » » » » » » Back with Poha Idlis for WBB Grains in my breakfast

Back with Poha Idlis for WBB Grains in my breakfast

If I told you that this tambram girl has never been able to make fluffy idlis from the scratch, would you believe me? Well it was the case until I tried out Sanjeev Kapoors Poha Idlis that featured the Healthy Breakfast episode in the near past.

They turned out white, soft, fluffy - and these are perfect for people like me - from whom the perfect idlis have been largely elusive.

I followed the recipe to the T. And theres no reason why these should make perfect dosas or Uthapams. I can swear I downloaded the pics from the camera and its odd how I cant seem to find them in my quite empty formatted notebook.

The picture will be updated the next time I make them, which I promise will be soon.

The recipe is from Sanjeev Kapoors website, where each weeks episode recipes are displayed for two weeks and I copied them down before they vanished. The recipe yields about a dozen medium idlis, and you can easily double the recipe to make dosas the next day.

POHA IDLI
Recipe Source : Sanjeev Kapoor / Khana Khazana

Preparation Time : 10 hours

Cooking Time : 30 minutes


Ingredients

1/4 cup Pressed Rice (poha)
1 cup Rice rawa (idli rawa)
1/4 cup Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal)
Salt to taste
Oil for greasing

Method

Soak idli rawa and poha in water for two hours.
Wash urad dal and soak in water for two hours.

Grind idi rawa and poha with a little water to a smooth batter. Transfer into a bowl.

Then grind urad dal separately to a smooth paste using little water. Transfer into the same bowl. Mix the two batters and allow set aside to ferment for eight to ten hours.


Heat sufficient water in a steamer. Grease the idli moulds. Add salt to the batter and mix well. Adjust consistency. Pour spoonful of batter into the moulds and place them in the steamer. Steam for about ten minutes or till done. If a skewer inserted into an idli comes out clean, the idlis are done. Take the moulds out and set aside to cool slightly before demoulding the idlis. Serve hot with chutney and sambhar.
This is my submission for WBB - Grains in my breakfast hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment